Last week, headlines were made when a gorilla was shot after a 3-year old boy slipped into his enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo in Ohio, USA. Attacks by zoo animals happen regularly and are sometimes fatal, leading onlookers to fear for the safety of the child.
If you haven’t seen the video, here it is:
I am not going to get into the debate about whose fault it was and how the situation could have been better handled. However, I do want to point out that as much as we love animals, they can be dangerous, and we would be wise to take necessary precautions around them.
Warning: Not for sensitive viewers
3. A man is attacked and seriously hurt by 3 lions at Barcelona Zoo, Spain
4. A lion attacks an unstable man who jumps into the zoo’s lion exhibit, Taipei Zoo in Taiwan
5. Toddler falls into jaguar pit at Little Rock, Arkansas Zoo, USA
6. Child killed in African Wild Painted Dogs Pen at Pittsburgh Zoo, USA
7. 100-pound male leopard escapes Indian Zoo after mauling three people: Bangalore , India
Moral of the story: Animals are dangerous. Don’t be reckless around them. Keep your distance even if the animal is behind bars and most importantly, watch your kids.
Things you must do in South Africa