Have you ever wondered what it would be like to design your own ice-cream? It’s every child’s dream and I daresay many adults’ too. Now is your chance to do just that.
The Magnum Pleasure pop-up store has been travelling all over the world since 2013, in celebration of Magnum’s 25th anniversary. New York, Paris and Istanbul have had their turn and it is now Jo’burg’s turn until 24 December 2014. Thereafter it moves to Cape Town.
A few weeks ago, my husband and I were at The Zone and decided to have some coffee at Vida e Caffe. As we sipped our coffee, we suddenly noticed that the Magnum pop-up store had mushroomed right opposite the café since we had last been there. The shop was closed due to filming though, said the sign on the door. We then started noticing an influx of celebrities walking into the store and realised that a Top Billing shoot was taking place. The episode aired on TV last week.
Of course, when my kids heard about this, they nagged us constantly to go there. But reports of massively long lines outside the store at most hours dissuaded us until we just found ourselves there on a Monday evening. The queue was not very long and we got to indulge – after I had taken the photos.
The summarised process is as follows: purchase an ice cream, dunk it in a white, dark or milk chocolate dip and choose your three favourite toppings.
The detailed process is as follows:
- First, pay at the till. The experience will cost you R40 per ice-cream.
- Then choose three toppings. There are 17 toppings to choose from. Honeycomb, mint crush, rose petals, and chilli flakes are just some of them. I chose the chocolate pecan cookies, honeycomb, and coconut as I was not brave enough for the chilli flakes and Maldon Salt yet.
- Get your ice cream. You get to choose between classic vanilla and the limited edition red velvet version.
- Select your dip. Choose between white, dark or classic milk chocolate. If you chose the red velvet ice-cream though, you can only choose the cream cheese topping.
- The assistant, who has been doing all of the above, then sprinkles your selected toppings over the dipped chocolate.
- Select your swirl. Choose between white, dark or classic milk chocolate.
- The assistant then finishes off your ice-cream with some chocolate buttons.
- Find a place to sit and enjoy your ice-cream. Oh, don’t forget to take that photo first.
Monday to Thursday from 10am to 8pm
Friday to Saturday from 9am to 8pm
Sundays from 10am to 5pm
For more information, visit Magnum SA on