Visiting a circus is one of the best ways to feel like a child again. Lucky for me, the world-famous Great Moscow Circus is in South Africa again – and wowing the crowds. They were last here in 2006! I went there today with my family and it certainly was a fun way to spend New Year’s Day.
The action-packed two-hour show features more than 65 circus performers from around the world and 18 acts.
After a unique welcome, we were captivated from the very first act.
We sat mesmerised as the agile artists performed gravity and death defying stunts using trampolines, trapezes, and much more.
Audience members were brought in for some acts and were great sports.
The acts were interspersed by hilarious clown acts for light relief.
Some of our favourite acts were:
The Man in the Glass Box who could bend his body into the most inconceivable positions.
The Double Giant Wheel featuring fearless acrobats with great balancing skills.
The Quick Change Transformationists – A quick shake of the black bag – or a splash of magic and the costumes change instantly. I wish that I could change my clothes so fast.
The Globe of Death – featuring five speeding motorcyclists in a circular cage. The only time I saw something like this was at an acrobat show in Beijing. I was delighted that my kids got a chance to see it today. This will have you on the edge of your seat.
The circus is animal-free as it is committed to a kinder world.
The Great Moscow Circus makes for an enjoyable outing with or without kids. I went with my kids and they loved it.
Here are some of your other options:
• Watch repeat after repeat on TV.
• Trawl yet another shopping mall to buy things you don’t need
• See how many happy people you can spot whilst trawling the malls. Count them. On one hand.
• Count how many times the kids look at you forlornly and say ‘I’m bored!’ Sigh, and say: ‘Me, too sweetie. Me, too’.
• Take a drive to visit the in-laws on the other side of town… again.
• Go watch another movie, with seven other people in the cinema all as jaded as you are.
• Mow the lawn.
• Spend hours and hours surfing Facebook to see what your friends are doing.
• Count the days until holidays are over and you’re back to work again
I was considering uploading videos of the acts here but I don’t want to give too much away so I’ll just stick to a teaser.
Venue: Carnival City till 9 April
Call 0861 915 8000 or book online at Computicket
For more information visit www.greatmoscowcircus.co.za
Disclosure Level: 1