I have often been accused of wanting to do everything in a place in a short space of time. It comes from my inherent FOMO – Fear of Missing Out. Although it is impossible to do everything there is to do in London for a tourist – in a week - we (my husband and I and our 2 kids aged 9 and 11) did manage to fit quite a bit into our week there - even though the days were short. Sunrise was at 8 am and sunset at 3:50 pm. At the end of the week, we were exhausted. It had been a hectic and exhilarating week but we – and the kids loved London.
This was how our week went.
- Arrived at Heathrow.
- Took the underground to Wembley Park.
- Checked into our hotel.
- Took a walk in Wembley, going past the Wembley Stadium and London Designer Outlet.
- Went to Trafalgar Square.
- Took the hop-on hop- off bus around London.
- Went to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guard.
- Went on the London Eye.
- Visited the London Dungeons.
- Took the hop-on hop- off bus again.
- Visited Harrods
- Visited Madame Tussauds
- Went to Soho
- Visited the Tower of London
- Did a river cruise on the Thames River to Greenwich and back
- Took a walk on the GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) line at the Royal Observatory
- Visited Cutty Sark, one of the world's most famous retired ships.
- Visited the 72nd floor of the Shard and experienced the View from the Shard.
- Visited Whitechapel area
- Went to Platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross Station
- Visited the British Museum and saw the Rosetta Stone
- Visited the British Library
- Took a walk on Oxford Street, Europe's busiest shopping street
- Day visit to Birmingham, about 2 hours from London, to visit family.
- Visited Notting Hill and Portobello market.
- Visited Ripley's Believe it or Not
- Visited Foyle's bookshop and a few other Bookshops
- Drove to Gatwick Airport to catch a flight to Orlando, USA where we stayed for a week.
We spent a day in each of Walt Disney World’s four parks and a day at Universal Orlando Resort. We walked about 16000 steps each day according to my Fitbit.
Our return leg looked like this:
Flight from Orlando, USA to Gatwick Airport, London. Arrive at 7 am London time.
Take a taxi from Gatwick Aiport to Heathrow Airport, about an hour away.
Board flight from Heathrow Airport to Johannesburg, South Africa at 6pm.
Arrive in Johannesburg at 7 am Johannesburg time.
Who said holidays were relaxing?
We returned exhausted, but richer for the experience – and minus my camera which I left on the flight from Orlando. More about all of these to follow.