This is a shortlist of things to do in Istanbul for a first-time visitor
To read more go to Incredible Istanbul
Things to do in Istanbul
What to see
- Topikapi Palace and Museum – a large palace that was one of the main residences of the Ottoman rulers for almost 400 years. It contains some of the rarest Islamic artefacts in the world.
- Blue Mosque aka Sultan Ahmed Mosque – This is one of the most famous and beautiful mosques in the world. It has 6 minarets and has a blue-tiled interior , giving it its popular title. See image above.
- Hagia Sofia – A beautiful monument and museum which was originally a church, then a mosque.
4. Dolmabahce Palace – A beautiful palace built in the mid-19th century along the Bosphorus which was used as final residence of the Ottoman sultans.
5. Basilica Cistern – The largest of several hundred ancient cisterns that lie beneath the city of Istanbul.
6. Grand Bazaar – one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world.
7. Bosphorus Cruise – This is one of the best ways to get a feel for Istanbul. You will see beautiful sights along the way.
8. Istiklal Street and Taksim Square
Also highly recommended
1. Suleimaniye Mosque
2. Egyptian Bazaar
3. Turkish Islamic Arts Museum (near Blue Mosque)
4. Fish market
5. The Hippodrome
What to Eat
The best, and freshest Baklava
Turkish delights – every conceivable flavour
Iskender kebab – a local specialty consisting of meat, vegetables and yoghurt served with bread
Where to stay – for first-time tourists:
Sultanahmet area – This is where most of the historical attractions are located
To read more about Istanbul, go to Incredible Istanbul.
For a taste of Istanbul in South Africa, go to Nizamiye.
For cheap flights to Istanbul, click here.