I was tagged by the lovely Loren from www.minkys.co.za in the wanderlust tag. Being a travel addict, I couldn’t resist completing it of course.
So here goes,
- Your most treasured passport stamp?
That’s a tough one but I’d have to go with my Schengen Visa because it opened up the way for me to visit so many countries. I first got it when I went on a Contiki tour many years ago and then again in 2013, when I went to Italy and on a Mediterranean cruise.
2. Can you recite your passport # (number) from memory if asked? Unfortunately not, although I do know my ID number if that counts. And I keep a copy of my passport on my phone and in My Dropbox, in case my actual passport gets stolen.
3. Preferred method of travel: planes, trains or automobiles?
4. Top 3 travel items?
3) A collapsible bag for all the extra things I end up carrying around.
5. Hostel or hotel?
Definitely hotel – preferably five-star. I see my hotel as a sanctuary when I’m tired after a day of travelling so it needs to be a place where I am comfortable. Also,I’m an introvert and could never share my private space with strangers in a hostel – never mind share a bathroom.
6. Are you a repeat visitor or do you explore new places?
Although I have visited some places more than once, I prefer to explore new places. My view is that there are so many places to still see in the world, so why go to the same place twice.
7. Do you read up on your destination (culture, history, safety) or do you wing it?
I definitely read up on it. I want to be as prepared as possible because I don’t want to end up in a position where I come back home and realise that I hadn’t seen something significant in the place I’d just been to. (I have a severe case of FOMO.) And yes, that happened to me in Singapore. So I’ve learnt my lesson.
8. Favorite travel websites?
I always use Tripadvisor to research places when travelling and to get advice from the forums. I use Booking.com and Hotel.com to find good deals and make hotel bookings. What I like about Booking.com is that most bookings can be cancelled until just before your trip – so you don’t lose money on your accommodation in case something unexpected happens and you have to cancel your trip. I also use Travelstart and Skyscanner to find the best flight prices.
9. Where would you recommend a friend to visit? Name city & why.
I’d say Istanbul. It’s a magical city, full of history, interesting architecture, fascinating culture and good food. It’s also the only city in the world which spans two continents, Europe and Asia.
10. You’re leaving tomorrow, money is no option, where are you going?
I’d go tour South America. I haven’t been there before and there are so many beautiful places I want to see there, like Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and Uruguay. South Africans don’t need a visa for many of the South American countries too so that’s a huge advantage.
Another place I really want to go to is Norway, to see the Northern Lights, although I don’t know if I’d be able to bear the cold.
I tag the following bloggers to add fuel to my (wanderlust) fire:
Ruth from Rozziki
Marriam from MarriamSayed.com
Samanthra from Currychick
Moipone from Ferocious Haven
And anyone else who would like to do this tag post!